A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE BROTHERS OF ST. PATRICK
The Congregation of the Brothers of St. Patrick or the Patrician Brothers as they are popularly known began in the small town of Tullow, Ireland on 2nd February, 1808. The Congregation was founded by Rt. Rev. Dr. Daniel Delaney, under the patronage of St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland. In 1846, the Brothers sailed across the Atlantic Ocean to Baltimore, USA and laid the foundation for their first mission abroad. In 1883, another group of Patricians arrived in Maitland, New South Wales, Australia. After establishing themselves, the brothers moved to Papua New Guinea, an island that needed the Brothers' assistance. In 1875, the first foundation of the Patrician Brothers was laid in Chennai, India. In 1961, Brothers were drawn to Kenya. In 2007, the Indian Province took up a mission in Ghana, Africa and in 2012, South Sudan and Dubai. In 2008, the Brothers completed 200 years of their existence as harbingers of education, touching and making a difference in the lives of many. Today, the Patrician Brothers run schools, colleges, boarding houses, technical institutions, non-formal education centres and other education related institutions in Ireland, United States of America, India, Australia, Papua New Guinea, Kenya, Ghana, and Uganda. The headquarters known as Generalate is located at The Entrance, Sydney, Australia and in India it has its headquarters known as Provincialate at Mount St. Mary's School, New Delhi.